02 May 2009

Just Breathe

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with asthma. I think I've had it all my life to an extent, but last year it got to the point where I needed an inhaler. I couldn't believe how much better I could breathe! I didn't even know breathing so well was possible (or maybe I'd just forgotten since I was sick for 3 months); it was a whole new reality. 

At the beginning of this semester I began having trouble breathing again, but this time it was much worse. It got so bad one night I went to urgent care and they said my blood-oxygen level was perfect, but gave me some steroids and sent me on my way. Later that week I went to an ENT. He explained a lot about the respiratory system and I no longer felt crazy for thinking I couldn't breathe. He also prescribed a higher dosage inhaler. Once the inhaler began to kick in, I felt great and breathing was back to normal. 

Earlier this week my inhaler ran out and I didn't have any time to pick up a new one. Once again, my lungs felt tight, my throat felt closed up, and I was gasping for air. 

Before I started having major problems with asthma, I had never realized what a blessing it was just to breathe. Struggling for just one breath, it dawned on me how often I take the little things in life, such as breathing, for granted. Every hour we take thousands of breaths, but how often do we give thanks to the One who gave us the breath of life? Another thing I take for granted is being able to talk. I lost my voice about 3 or 4 times just this semester, which has made me come to realize just how much I talk and how little I listen. Is what I say important or do I just babble on? I don't want to talk just to fill time. I want each word that I say to be meaningful, to bring hope, love, support. I want all that I say and do, every breath that I take, to bring glory to God's name. He gave me the ability to breathe, speak, walk, read, think, cry, smile, laugh, feel, hear, taste, smell, see, love, and so much more. I don't want to take such things for granted any longer. 

When the Bible refers to breathing, especially in Genesis, it usually talks about someone breathing his/her last breath. Breathing in the Bible is all about life; breath gives life. God gave me life to love others for His glory and to praise Him all my days. I desire to worship the Lord with the life He has given me until I breathe my very last breath.

"the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." Genesis 2:7

"In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

"Praise the Lord.

Praise God in His sanctuary;
praise Him in His mighty heavens. 
Praise Him for His acts of power
praise Him for His surpassing greatness. 
Praise Him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise Him with the harp and lyre, 
praise Him with tambourine and dancing, 
praise Him with the string and flute,
praise Him with the clash of cymbals, 
praise Him with the resounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. 

Praise the Lord." 

Psalm 150

No comments: